Sunday, March 07, 2004

Young Guns

Plan: Fictional telling of how Billy the Kid (Emilio Estevez) became Billy the Kid and the Lincoln cattle wars.

This movie is awful. I'm not saying it's the worst movie I have ever seen, because it isn't by far, but because the plot is remarkably similar to Swiss cheese.

However, yay Brat pack! I like them almost as much as I love the Rat pack. If you know them like I do, you find yourself exclaiming in excitement as the opening credits roll by. Seriously, the credits made me giddy.

Often the events and language in the film are as loosely related to the time period as the score by Anthony Marinelli and Brian Banks. They choose, for some unknown reason, to use strange 80s techno. I never figured that one out, and it certainly doesn't lend any creditability to the story.

I rather enjoyed the performances of everyone who wasn't Emilio Estevez. I don't like him. I'm not saying I don't like his crazy character, but I get the impression that everyone else was carrying him. Why was he then cast in the lead? You'll have to ask director/producer Christopher Cain for the answer to that one.

Before you write this one off completely, it does have its moments. Things I found hilarious: 1) everyone drinks some paodi (?), 2) Doc keeps a low profile by yelling in the street, 3) no one seems to realize that Doc doesn't write anything, 4) Billy is afraid of pigs. Funny, funny stuff.

In the end, all I can say is that it is good for a larf.

No comments:

Post a Comment