Sunday, March 21, 2004

Five Corners (1988)

Premise: When the man (John Turturro) who attempted to rape her is released from prison, Linda (Jodie Foster) turns to the man who saved her, Harry (Tim Robbins), who has in the meantime become a Buddhist/pacifist/civil rights activist. It's 1964 in the Bronx, what can I say?

What is this movie? Honestly? There's that slightly racist and scary plot, and one very strangely linked subplot. This guy sells his drunken girlfriend and her best friend to this teenager and the exchange student he's hosting, and they seem to get over it right quick. Plus, there's arrows flying everywhere. Arrows? Robin Hood? C'mon, now, that's just excessive.

What were Tony Bill (director) and John Patrick Shanley (screenwriter) thinking? Okay, Tony Bill also did
Untamed Heart, which has a power over me, so I guess I shouldn't be too disparaging, but . . . What is this? I have no idea!

The most strange and horrifying things happen in this movie. Everything about it is off. I don't know. Okay, Robbins and Foster are obviously two of the most talented people in Hollywood, period, so I can't blame them. It's that subplot. I don't get it. Is it social commentary? Is it comedic relief? A big waste of time?

The only unifying force (besides Robbins and Foster) is John Newton Howard's score. I don't know how he does it. Plus the kick period music. Can't let that go unmentioned.

So messed up. Just weird and little macabre. I shake my head in confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment