Monday, March 08, 2004

The Emperor's Club

Summary: Kevin Kline is a professor at an all boys school where he teaches the equivalent of ancient civilizations. He attempts to put on the right path a troubled new student, Sedgewick Bell (Emile Hirsch). The film revolves around a competition to become "Mr. Julius Caesar".

It is my opinion that most comedic actors get to a point in their career where they deeply desire to win a Oscar for acting in a dramatic role. Kevin Kline is one of these actors, which is why he is now appearing in films such as The Emperor's Club and Life as a House instead of A Fish Called Wanda (which, incidentally, did garner him an Academy award).

This is not always the best choice. I think Kline bristles with talent, but The Emperor's Club may not have been the right venue to showcase it. Critics, I'm sure, are wary of any teacher/student movie that falls closely along the lines of Dead Poets Society. I ask you, why aren't any of these teachers science teachers? Why can't a math teacher be inspirational?

Alright, I admit that this film is quite good. The end both pissed me off and warmed my heart. I would say that the overriding theme is greatness. Greatness is a difficult status to achieve, and it is based in the most unlikely of circumstances. You'll see what I mean.

Although Kline is the star, he has tough competition from his students. Hirsch just may be going somewhere, and the rest are charming and funny. You'll like the somewhat stereotypical lot.

Everything else is a bit by the numbers, but the direction gives us no reason to complain. Michael Hoffman is telling a simple story on a simple background, but he doesn't let that stop him from making a few jabs. He sows it together well.

So, I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment