Thursday, March 11, 2004

Days of Thunder (1990)

Outline: Tim Dolan (Randy Quaid) hires Harry Hogge (Robert Duvall) to build a stock car and train his new driver, Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise). After Cole and a fellow racer are in an accident, Cole meets a beautiful neurosurgeon (Nicole Kidman), who helps him deal with his fears and race again.

Can I just tell you that this movie is another one of my childhood favourites? There is nothing particularly special about it, but I love it. I think it must have been something my dad really liked, so I watched it with him a bunch of times.

It was directed by Tony Scott, so you can see my opinion of his direction in my review of True Romance. It's pretty by the book; nothing spectacular for an action movie. It's also a classic Jerry Bruckheimer production, with the focus on action rather than talk. I guess that makes sense as it is an action movie.

As for the Tom Cruise bit, the jury's still out. I know, I know, he's been making movies for more years than I have been alive (I think), but let's be honest: can he act? He makes these critically acclaimed movies like The Last Samurai and Vanilla Sky, but he often fails to win awards or even nominations for his performances in them. So what's his deal? Can he act, is it the roles he chooses, or what? Anybody?

Duvall's his ornery self; Kidman charms. They all do they part, and I have no cause to either complain or exclaim.

Yes, everyone should watch this movie. Luckily, you are spared having to watch cars make endless left turns for the most part, and that way you can still claim you know something about stock car racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment