Tuesday, March 23, 2004

After Alice (1999) or Eye of the Killer (2000)

Short: An alcoholic detective (Kiefer Sutherland), following a head trauma, beings to have psychic vision when he comes into contact with a personal object of the deceased. He teams up with another psychic (Henry Czerny) and a parapsychologist (?) (Polly Walker) when a serial killer who has been dormant for a decade begins to kill again.

About the two titles: This is one of those movies that is released on video under a different name. So, if you are looking for it, you have to check both.

Whoa, can I just tell you that I liked this movie? That made me pretty happy. See, there's this thing with Sutherland: he's got huge talent, but the movies he often makes are lacking. Finally, this movie is starting to show a fit. Not quite like a glove, but we are getting closer. I love the way Sutherland plays this character, with him slowly getting his life together at the same time that he appears to be losing his mind.

Jeff Miller's (screenwriter) plot is something to behold. Yes, it's got some violence to it (it's about a serial killer, n'est-ce pas?), but it's got some clever twists as well. There are some moments of corny dialogue, but I've come to recognize that even people on this side of the screen say some lame stuff sometimes. Its major flaw is the couple of holes that are left gaping after the plot is seemingly all sown up. Of course, if you are not as neurotic as I am, you may not notice them.

Paul Marcus has directed only one other major motion picture, Break Up which was in the same vein, but not nearly as good as this one. Yes, I have seen Break Up. Marcus tells a good story, spins tension pretty well, and seems to like working with Sutherland. Good enough for me.

This movie is pretty good. I know I already said that, but it is. It's just the kind of movie I would like; it's got the paranormal, it's got people effecting change, it's even got a little love. And a murder mystery. I do love a good murder mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment