Sunday, March 28, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Outline: Upon discovering that his girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet), has had him erased from her memory, Joel (Jim Carrey) decides to have the same procedure done. The film, for the large part, takes place in Joel's memory as the eraser guys work backwards in his mind to remove every trace of Clementine. When Joel realizes what he'll lose, he strives to stop the procedure or hide Clementine where no one will find her.

Charlie Kaufman blows my mind. I love his movies where he completely blurs the line between reality and fantasy (e.g. Being John Malkovich and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind). I think he'd probably tell you something a little off like the only reality is fantasy. And that could be true. At least it's the truth when applied to movies like this. I tell you truly though, his movies can be so fanciful that they give me a headache. I know that sounds like something you wouldn't want to happen, but I kind of like it when a movie is so psychologically thrilling (not to be confused with watching a psychological thriller) that my mind can't keep up.

What I want to know is how he ever met Michel Gondry (director). Okay, so they did Human Nature together, but I still don't know how they could have met. Honestly, the match is near perfect, and it makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

Also, smacks to whomever was critical of Carrey in serious roles. I liked him in The Truman Show, I liked him in The Majestic, and I love him in Eternal Sunshine. Plus, the film reminded me why I believed Winslet so talented.

Of course, what really got me was how normal Tom Wilkinson behaved. Usually I find him so frightening, but he was so calm and quiet as the doctor stealing portions of people's lives.

Oh, see it, see it, see it. Everyone should see Kaufman - everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment