Sunday, March 14, 2004

Identity (2003)

Premise: Someone is killing off the visitors at motel in the middle of nowhere during a flood.

Okay, so I know that sounds like a really boring horror movie, and I bet you are wondering why I even watched a horror movie in the first place. If I reveal to you now what is really going on in the movie, you will have no cause to see it, except that it is a really, really cool idea.

So how can I put this? The killer is someone I found creepy right from the start, and there is a really sweet twist as well. Of course, when you figure it all out, you might get pissed off. I wouldn't agree with you at that point, but I know what it is like to finally know the truth and be unimpressed.

As you also know, nothing gets me like a great ensemble cast. John Cusack eventually establishes himself as the protagonist, but he has to wrestle the title away from Ray Liotta, Amanda Peet, Rebecca De Mornay, John Hawkes, Alfred Molina, John C. McGinley, Clea Duvall, Jake Busey, William Lee Scott, Leila Kenzel, and Pruitt Taylor Vince. Okay, I pretty much just named the entire cast. That's how ensemble it is. Just thinking about it makes me giddy.

James Mangold, who manages to get just the right amount of grit to keep my attention, also directed such films as Girl, Interrupted and Kate & Leopold. I think that is sufficient to suggest that he isn't a one-genre kind of man. Nevertheless, he could have done more to maintain the suspense the film requires. Not the best horror film director (who can beat Alfred Hitchcock?) but very, very far from the worst.

As for Michael Cooney, I haven't seen a single other film he has scripted. I will reserve my judgment until I know more.

I may have been cryptic about the plot, but your confusion now is worth the enjoyment of the film later. Such, such a great concept. Of course, Blockbuster and Sony Pictures may beshrew me yet and tell you more on the back of the box. Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment