Monday, March 29, 2004

Moonlight Mile (2002)

Plot: Joe (Jake Gyllenhaal) is held hostage by the grieving parents (Susan Sarandon and Dustin Hoffman) of his murdered fiancee.

"Held hostage" in a figurative sense -> that's a little insight from me to you.

Oh, wow. As always, Gyllenhaal impresses and inspires me. I love his character who is too guilty to grieve. The "secret" he was hiding was pretty obvious, but I don't mind. In fact, the whole movie is a lot like grief. It's funny, and sad, and strange, and scattered, and personal. I admire that Gyllenhaal could hold his own against Hoffman and Sarandon, who give stunning performances. I would have, in such a circumstance, peed my pants.

Brad Silberling wrote and directed this film of quiet intensity. I must say, of his previous attempts (Casper and City of Angels) I like this one the best. It's real. Sure, the other plots were about ghosts and angels, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be real. I'm just saying this is more real.

I just realized that this is pretty short today. Meh. Basically, it's good, but it's not so good that I feel compelled to go on and on like I normally do. So there you have it: it's good but not that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment