Saturday, March 06, 2004

Donnie Darko

Plot: Donnie's girlfriend (Jena Malone) tells him that his name sounds like he should be a comic book hero. And he is, in a way. A giant rabbit saves him from certain death, so Donnie feels compelled to do his biding, borrowing from Graham Greene along the way.

The movie belongs under the film noir section, should Blockbuster ever make one. The first time I ever saw it, I spent more time saying "what the hell!?!" then actually paying attention, but I got over that one.

Now, this movie isn't terribly good. But it does have me hooked. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Donnie, and, as you have read, I find him effective. Yes, he's effective because he never ceases to affect me. I think that's right.

What I find even more effective, though, are the smaller roles played by Drew Barrymore, Noah Wyle, and Patrick Swayze. Barrymore and Wyle as his English and Science teachers, respectively, recognize that power in Donnie and want him to succeed. I don't know exactly what I mean by that. They just . . . believe in him. Not in his innate goodness or his leadership abilities, nothing like that. They believe in him. In flesh and blood.

As for Richard Kelly, who wrote and directed this masterpiece of depression, I've never seen anything else by him. In fact, I've never even heard of anything else he's done. He did this movie for only $9000, so I'd have to fathom a guess that he's devoted to his craft. I admire that about him if it proves to be true.

So, should you watch this film? Why not. You don't need me to tell you these things. It's about time travel, it's about adolescence, and it's about what you need to give up in order to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment