Monday, August 02, 2004

The Village (2004)

Premise: Set in a small village surrounded by Covington Woods, a place where “those we do not speak of” keep the citizens in constant terror, the residents of the village have always had a “gentle understanding with the creatures” that they will not enter the woods, and the creatures will not attack. As the simple Noah Percy’s (Adrien Brody) entrance into the woods prompts greater and greater attacks on the village, Lucius Hunt makes ever pressing demands to cross the woods into “the towns” to gather medicines, much to the chagrin of his mother (Sigourney Weaver) and the awe of the town’s mayor, Mr. Walker (William Hurt) and his daughter, Ivy (Bryce Dallas Howard).

I apologize for the long plot description. As anyone who has seen any M. Night Shyamalan (writer/director) film will know, that plot description will be blown to smithereens at least twice over as the movie progresses.

I say that this is Shyamalan’s best work to date. I understand (although I have not read) that the critics are divided on this one, and I maintain my sentiment. Not only did he reiterate that he is ready to challenge Alfred Hitchcock’s mantle as the master of terror, he also managed to tell a compelling love story. I didn’t even know he was capable of such a thing.

And it was quite a sexy one at that. I never thought of Joaquin Phoenix as sexy before (usually scary and/or pathetic, e.g. Gladiator, The Yards), but I can definitely say that there was some crazy chemistry between him and Howard, who turns in an astonishing performance for her fourth movie.

On the other hand, I feel very at odds about Brody. The more I see of him, the less I understand him. No one can doubt that he earned his Oscar for The Pianist, but I’m not sure what he’s doing here.

There is, however, scene between him and Phoenix in Lucius’ workshop that is stellar.

Weaver is always a pleasure to see, and she is supported well by others such as Cherry Jones, Brendan Gleeson, Celia Jones, Michael Pitt, and Judy Greer.

Hurt, on the other hand, tries way too hard.

James Newton Howard, as in all Shyamalan’s films, curdles your blood with music. After all, we would feel very little while watching films if they weren’t scored.

You should see it in theatres. Well, not exactly.

You should experience it in a theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment