Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Ghost (1990)

Plan: When Sam (Patrick Swayze) is murdered, he decides to stay behind and look after Molly (Demi Moore). He begins to uncover a conspiracy behind his murder involving his best friend, Carl (Tony Goldwyn). Sam enlists the aid of a psychic, Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg), to protect Molly and solve the mystery of his seemingly senseless murder.

Funny saying, isn't it? "Senseless" murder? I mean, what murders make sense anyway?

In any case, let's look at this different perspective on 1990. Apparently, in this case, people in 1990 thought some very strange things.

For instance, they thought that Swayze was a talented actor whom lots of women wanted to sleep with. I'm sure lots of women did at the time, so I'll let that last bit slide.

Actually, the more I think about . . . even though I'm tempted to cast him aside as a pretty boy puff piece, he can be pretty good. I guess he's as good as the role he's given, though, and in this case, Bruce Joel Rubin's inventive but melodramatic screenplay gives him little to work with.

They also appear to have thought that Moore was much the same. Again, it appears they are right about the mass sex appeal part, but I really don't buy her as an actress. The only thing she's managed to perfect is the single tear drop. Yes, she's a very believable crier.

Not too sure what to say about director Jerry Zucker. He doesn't make a lot of movies, and I think we are the better for it.

What I doubt they banked on was Goldberg. Goldberg, in case you didn't know, won a good deal of awards for her performance of the swindler who suddenly discovers she has a genuine gift that comes with a brand new set of responsibilities, including the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. She is, in my opinion, a ridiculously talented actress, so ludicrous and quietly dramatic.

Truly, her performance makes the whole experience worthwhile.

Except for the effects or the general plot line. Oh, stupid, crappy, effects! Why didn't they just use real shadows and leave it at that? If Hitchcock taught us anything, it was that what you don't see is infinitely more frightening than what you can see.

I can't say I'd recommend this one. You are probably better off without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment