Tuesday, August 10, 2004

To Die For (1995)

Short: Suzanne Stone Maretto (Nicole Kidman) has always believed she is destined for a life on TV. When she decides that her husband, Larry (Matt Dillon), is standing in her way, she enlists three 15 year-old followers, Jimmy (Joaquin Phoenix), Russell (Casey Affleck), and Lydia (Allison Folland), to take care of him for her.

Not, to my knowledge, based on a true story. Feel free to challenge this statement.

Blockbuster claims that this film is a “drama suspense”. Not really, I would say.

It’s satirical, and there are definitely elements of drama to it, as well as comedy. I didn’t buy the suspense, though. You get the feeling while you are watching it that it is almost something. Almost a drama, almost a comedy, almost a satire, almost good.

But never really enough of anything.

Here’s how I’ve decided that Gus Van Sant directs. “I’m Gus Van Sant! If you don’t like it, I don’t care ‘cause I’m Gus Van Sant.” Basically speaking, a little too self absorbed to be a worthwhile director.

Luckily he’s got a great script from Buck Henry, a man who knows a thing or two about satire, and one helluva performance from Kidman. I remember this movie as being the first were suddenly critics were saying, “Nicole Kidman! An actress! Not just Tom Cruise’s wife!”, which is great since only 50% of them can really act.

Phoenix also won himself some attention with this move, his return to feature films after a four year absence. He’s so good here – quiet, jittery, naïve. It’s hard not to like him or feel sorry for him.

I was also happy to see that Danny Elfman scored the movie since I like him so much. He’s finally getting the attention he deserves, and I couldn’t be happier for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment