Monday, August 16, 2004

Pump Up the Volume (1990)

Plot: Mark (Christian Slater) run a pirate radio station from his basement for his own amusement. He discovers that everyone is listening to what he has to say, and, more importantly, they are taking him seriously. All this attentions winds his DJ persona, Hard Harry, in deeper and deeper trouble as the teens of his small town start to act based on his suggestions.

Ha- this movie makes me think of two things.
1) Remember your Christian Slater phase? I make that statement very generally because everyone had one. He was so cute, and passionate, and a little bit shy, yet highly sexual, and ridden (or so it seemed) with genuine angst. It was hard not to fall for him.
2) Allan Moyle is just the best. He makes the best disillusioned teen movies I have ever seen. He is also a contender for best Canadian director, although I understand his practices to be somewhat suspect.

Honestly, who doesn't like this movie? Like all Moyle's movies, he manages to sneak in these occasionally subtle dissenting views into what appears to be a teen sex comedy. Tricky, that's what this movie can be.

Also, possibly the most preachy of his films, but I think I'll let it slide in exchange for the presentation he gives us. He just knows how to have fun. He's like a girl that way.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more Moyle seems to me like the unconventional version of Cameron Crowe. I wonder if what I just said would be considered sacrilege.

I'm going to have to give props to the soundtrack, mostly for including Leonard Cohen.

I'm really not doing this movie justice. You're just going to have to see it for yourself. It's hilarious and smart and sad and special.

And real, although it is about some rather odd activities. But the approach to them is as real as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment