Sunday, August 01, 2004

The Grifters (1990)

Idea: After Roy (John Cusack) runs into some difficulty in one of his short term cons, his mother, Lilly (Angelica Houston), reappears in his life after an eight year absence. Lilly doesn’t care for Roy’ girlfriend, Myra (Annette Benning), who wants Roy to join her in long term cons, while Lilly’s looking for a way out for the both of them.

This movie is sick. Don’t get me wrong – it’s very good. But it is also sick. Very, very sick.

It’s actually quite exceptionally good, and you don’t get to the real sick part until the end. A dark seduction would be the best way to describe it. Donald E. Westlake’s (writer) dark seduction of the audience.

The whole movie’s a grift, so to speak. You never really know who is conning who or to what end.

Stephen Frears (director) breasts his cards while making it seem off-the-cuff. I really do love his direction. He sets up his characters on a pedestal, so he can revel in knocking them down. I suppose that’s kind of sick, too, isn’t? And a bit of a con.

I think anyone who has seen pretty much anything knows what great actresses Houston and Benning are. Do I wish that Benning were a little less comfortable with her body in his movie? Sure. Do I understand why Houston’s hair is dyed white? No.

Other than that, near flawless performances. I love that catty little smile Benning gets, and the irrepressible pride of Houston’s character. Esp. when it all come crumbling down around her.

After seeing Cusack in yet another movie where he shocks the hell out of me, I cannot understand why more isn’t made of him as an actor. Honestly, why?

Although this is a sick, sick movie, I’m going to have to recommend it. If you think about, filmmaking is the biggest grift there is, so you shouldn’t be surprised when the pull the wool over your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment