Sunday, August 15, 2004

Only You (1994)

Story: Faith (Marisa Tomei) has always believed that she was destined to be with Damien Bradley. The only trouble is that she’s never met Damien Bradley. As her wedding to another man approaches, Faith panics. She and her sister-in-law, Kate (Bonnie Hunt), decide to take off on a trip to clear her mind. While at the airport, they overhear Damon Bradley paged and follow him Rome. While in Rome, Faith meets an amazing man (Robert Downey, Jr.), but is he her destiny?

Hahahahahahaha. I was recently told that I give the best plot summaries. It was obviously a sarcastic comment, and I think I know why.

That aside, this really is a good movie. It’s one of those movies I discovered on a Sunday afternoon with my mom after I had finished my homework. Those movies generally are the best, I can assure you, for that is when I saw, for the first time, both Gone with the Wind and The Godfather.

It’s also one of those shocking movies. Shocking because you never really expect chick flicks to be all that good (although you do expect them to be hilarious, or so I am told), but also shocking because it’s directed by Norman Jewison.

I mean, Norman Jewison! The best Canadian director to date! Oh, let’s be honest, David Cronenberg is nuts, and Atom Egoyan is a little too full of himself. Jewison’s all we got. Besides, how many other Canadian directors can you name?

And then there’s Hunt. Any movie is made exponentially better by the fact that she is one of the best comedienne’s known today and one of the best supporting actresses, which are two of the toughest gigs out there.

It helps that I love both Tomei and Downey, Jr. I don’t care what problems he has with cocaine, he’s still hilarious and lucid! He can be so alternatively snarky and silly. It’s impossible hate him at the end of any film.

This movie is, sadly, Diane Drake’s only feature film script. Listen to her name, people. It belongs on the screen. Or possibly the name of a private detective. Preferably both.

Basically speaking, it’s hard to resist this movie once you get past the whole “destiny” business. But I’m sure you can.

Get past it, that is. Not resist. Do not attempt to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment