Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Quiz Show (1994)

Plot: A dramatized telling of the true story of the how quiz shows on NBC were rigged in the 1950s. (Ken Jennings, anyone?) Dan Enright (David Paymer) has the answers feed to well-to-do Charles Van Doren (Ralph Fiennes), who comes from a respected intellectual family, in order to get reigning Jewish champ Herbie Stempel (John Turturro) off the air. As Van Doren’s winning streak grows longer and longer and his winnings more and more substantial, Stempel raises a case that the shows are fixed, which catches the attention of Dick Goodwin (Rob Morrow), a hot shot lawyer buried in the sub-committee on legislative oversight.

This movie is one that I knew about, then forgot about, then was reminded about in a recent interview with Robert Redford (director).

I’m iffy about Redford as a director. As an actor he’s a heavy weight, and he’s plenty risky. But as a director he comes across as downright cautious. Obviously restraint is an important characteristic in director. Redford takes it too far. Directing requires a certain recklessness that this movie lacks. Everything feels weighed and measured.

It’s too much. A bit pompous, even.

Much like Paul Attanasio’s script. I enjoyed watching it, but looking back makes me feel like saying, “Lay off it, would ya?” He’s like a dog with a bone, “We’re going to get TV! TV’s corrupt! The Gentiles are keeping everyone down!”

Okay, yes, there was a conspiracy and a racist one at that. This leads me to my next point:

What does it say when you cast two prominent Jewish actors as the main (anti-Semitic) conspirators? I love Paymer and Hank Azaria (is he Jewish? Am I wrong here?), but what was that supposed to mean? Does that make any sense to anyone else?

Turturro crackles with neurotic energy, and Morrow’s Goodwin is well paced. I’m going to assume that it’s some historical detail to have a cigar hanging out of his mouth half the time, impeding his speech. It’s worth the wait for him to remove it.

If I had known Van Doren, I would have said that Fiennes nailed him. Bright, intelligent, so willing to please, so over-shadowed by his family. I can’t imagine trying to reconcile your morals with your money. I suppose that’s why he looks so shiny all the time.

Redford seems dead set on making everyone look like they are in a fifties movie – the hair, the make-up. It’s too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment