Tuesday, April 27, 2004

True Colors (1991)

Premise: Peter Burton (John Cusack) and Tim Gerrity (James Spader) are the best of friends. When the overly ambitious, politically minded Peter betrays Tim, he has revenge on his mind.

There's actually lots of other stuff that goes on in the movie, but that's about as basic as it gets.

Okay, I know I've been trying to lay off John (in addition to Kiefer) movies, and I have been. But there was this really long line at Roger's the other night, so Em and I decided to wander around. I spied Cusack and Spader on a case, so I read the plot description. And, well, you can figure out the rest.

Of course, it helps that this movie is awesome! Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect from it. Fortuitously, it was great. I love it when things turn out like that.

Herbert Ross always seems to tell these sorts of stories. That's how I view the director, in any case, as a story-teller of sorts. He did Steel Magnolias, Boys on the Side, and Footloose, so he's got my vote. Okay, it seems like he does a lot of chick flicks, and it's kind of true. Really good ones though! He wrings incredible performances from his actors, and I will not condemn him for it.

Kevin Wade, on the other hand, has written some crap movies. I guess he used all his talent for this one. Forget about him. I'm cutting to the important part.

Remember when I said that Cusack surprised me as a villain in Cradle Will Rock? Forget that. Rockefeller couldn't hold a candle to Burton. Cusack crafts possibly his most stunning performance as Peter, a guy with a chip on his shoulder the size of Manhattan and a Macbeth-sized ambition to go along with it. That scene, towards the end when Peter realizes how much he has to lose, so desperate to hang on to what's left . . . wow. I mean it. Just plain wow. And then you've got Spader to balance him out. Sure, Tim can seem a bit naive at times, but he's as bloodthirsty as the rest of them given the right motivation. It's even better when he discovers how bitter blood can taste.

More importantly, the chemistry between the two of them is white hot. It's tangible and electric. I don't think I could come up with enough superlatives to describe it. Serious, the thought of rental fees disappears from my mind while watching the two of them on the screen.

Oh yeah, the girl. Imogen Stubbs isn't particularly compelling, and she can't seem to shake her British accent. She does a fine enough job as an upper-crust girl with a lot to learn, and I can say that she doesn't hold Spader or Cusack back. I can say that.

One more thing. What's with Trevor Jones' music? He's the same guy I loved so much from Dark City, but I have no idea what he's doing here. It's like he suddenly forgot that music is supposed to convey emotion, matching and creating pathos for the characters. If you can ignore that . . .

This film could possibly become one of my all-time favourite hidden gems. Right now, it's holding its own, but time can only tell. Serious, check it out. Check it out today. I don't think I can emphasize that enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment