Saturday, April 10, 2004

Matchstick Men (2003)

Plan: An obsessive-compulsive con artist, Roy (Nicholas Cage), reunites with his daughter, Angela (Alison Lohman), while he and his partner, Frank (Sam Rockwell) prepare for a long con.

Not the best Ridley Scott movie I've ever seen. It's sweet and hilarious, and, if you look at it right, like all his movies, everything works exactly out as it should. He's a great director, and I don't have any specific cause for complaint. I just know he can do better (e.g. Gladiator).

Nicholas and Ted Griffin's screenplay is sweet, funny, dramatic, and thrilling. I enjoyed every minute of it. As for their adaptation of Eric Garcia's book, I don't know. I seem to be writing a lot lately about movies that started out as book, and I never seem to have read any of them. It's not that I don't read, but I read hilarious British diary novels, classic literature, and political satire. It's not really the stuff movies are made of.

The performances are spot on. Cage is at the top of his game, Lohman is charming, and I love Rockwell. I like everything I've seen him in. He's really coming into his own, and I can wait to see where he goes next.

Okay, here's the thing you must understand about this movie. Actually, here's the thing you need understand about the grift: if you aren't conning, then you are getting conned. It's that simple. Keep it in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment