Friday, April 09, 2004

Mystic River (2003)

Plot: Three childhood friends become reconnected when Jimmy's (Sean Penn) daughter is murdered, Sean (Kevin Bacon) is assigned to the case, and Dave (Tim Robbins) is suspected.

I know, I know, this entirely breaks my "no critically acclaimed movies" rule because there is I could add nothing to what has already been said. Even so, I saw this film yesterday at the Bytowne, and I feel compelled to comment. At first, the only thing I knew about this film was Penn screaming "IS THAT MY DAUGHTER IN THERE?! IS THAT MY DAUGHTER IN THERE?!" over and over again while eight or nine police officers (no exaggeration) hold him back. Then Bacon gave him a look, and Penn changed to "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!", with eight or nine police officers holding him down. Finally, I heard somewhere that short plot description that I shared with you.

Remember before when I said that Clint Eastwood should direct everything, then took it back? Well, I'm taking back my take back: Clint Eastwood should direct everything. I find myself at a loss to describe the haunting power of this film, or the knock out performances he pushes his actors to. Penn very rightly deserved his Oscar, especially since he has been robbed in the past.

And, get this, Eastwood scored the movie, too. And the score's really good. Is there anything this man cannot do? Is there? I think not.

So, when you get a chance to see this movie, you should pounce on it. I mean it, be all up ons. It truly is a masterpiece with amazing and awe-astounding performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment