Monday, April 19, 2004

say anything . . . (1989)

Plot: After graduation, Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) asks out the valedictorian, a "brain trapped in the body of a game show hostess", Diane Court (Ione Skye). To his surprise, she says yes. To her surprise, she falls for him. Perhaps the best way to describe this film would be to say, at the party Lloyd takes her to on their first date, a lower classman (Jason Gould) asks Lloyd how he got Diane Court to go out with him. Lloyd replies, "I called her up." Shocked, the kid asks why that particular tactic worked, and, more importantly, who exactly is this man that it would work for him? The sum of the movie is contained in the reply "I'm Lloyd Dobler."

I admit that I have been wary about commenting on this film for the following three reasons: 1) I've already written about it, 2) I'm crazy about it, and 3) It's genius. I've made my feelings about directorial debuts (excitement!) and Cameron Crowe (to reiterate, genius!) pretty clear in the past. Crowe writes and directs with such passion, intellect, humour, and talent. He reminds us with every new feature why we love movies. He stirs, creates, and stabs, all with balance and power. I'm struggling here, if you cannot tell, to find words to describe his work.

I am also wary of commenting on Cusack. I've reviewed a fair number of his movies (wonder why?), and I wonder what I can tell you about him. He won the Chicago Film Critics Association's award for Most Promising Actor for his work in this film. I suspect that title is a double-edged sword. How does one live up to one's promise? Are you then full of unexplored potential?

As for Skye, this is one of her first movies. She was a model before this, and it shows. Actually, I like her a fair bit. Diane's got some issues, and Skye displays some prowess in creating them and destroying them.

Okay, there is bunch of other things I could say about this movie, so many little details that make the film exceptional. But I would be giving it away. I would be giving it all away. Okay, I'll give you one little thing. You know that much imitated/much parodied scene with a guy holding up stereo/ghetto blaster - whatever you want to call it - in the hopes of attracting the attention from some lady friend figure? Well, it started here, and there's actually a funny little story behind the song choice. I'll tell about it you sometime. Sometime after you watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment