Monday, April 12, 2004

Don Juan DeMarco (1995)

Short: Dr. John Mickler (Marlon Brando) attempts to "cure" a man (Johnny Depp) who believes he is the legendary lover Don Juan, while using his life story to revitalize his own life, including his relationship with his wife (Faye Dunaway).

Yay! Another one of April's guilty pleasures. How can you not like a movie that is so unabashedly cheesy, so shamelessly silly? I know I sure do!

I've only ever seen one other thing that Jeremy Leven has written (The Legend of Bagger Vance), and he's never directed anything else, so it's hard to say. All I can tell you, for now, is that he's very cheesy and silly. That's important, for a good fantasy movie must have a sense of whimsy in order to work.

As for the performances, let's see . . . Depp is the most under-appreciated actor in Hollywood today (that Oscar nod was far overdue). He always chooses off-colour roles like this one for himself, and he goes after them with gusto. Besides, who passes up a chance to work with Brando? Honestly, who does that?

Brando, and I didn't even know this was possible, is hysterical as Dr. Mickler. And can I just say that Dunaway looks stunning? She seriously is just so beautiful; I don't care how old she is. Oh, yeah, her acting is great too.

Also, three cheers for the ridiculous Bryan Adams song that goes with this movie: "Have you ever really loved a woman?" A friend's mom hates it, but it just kills me because it's so over the top.

I was just now trying to figure out how to sum up today's post, and I've got nothing. Seriously, it's so cheesy and hilarious, I just had to mention it.

Pick: Seabiscuit definitely deserved its seven Oscar nods. Heartwarming to the very core.
Pan: Under the Tuscan Sun had no reason to be so long. Oh, wait, the reason was to be boring as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment