Monday, April 04, 2005

Frank Miller's Sin City (2005)

Premise: Um, it's hard to sum up. Miller's graphic novels are presented in vignettes, some of which you return to, and some are dropped. Some are longer and others are shorter. I guess I'll give you a taste of each.

Opener: The Customer is Always Right - The Man (Josh Hartnett) approaches the Customer (Marley Shelton) with an offer of help.

The Yellow Bastard - On his last day on the job, Hartigan (Bruce Willis) seeks to save Nancy Callahan from Rourk Jr. (Nick Stahl), who likes to kidnap and hurt little girls.

The Hard Goodbye - Marv (Mickey Rourke) seeks out killer of his only love, Goldie (Jamie King).

The Big Fat Kill - Dwight (Clive Owen) decides to go after his girlfriend, Shellie's (Brittany Murphy), ex, Jackie Boy (Benicio Del Toro), but Jackie heads straight for old town and ends up getting himself killed. Dwight then discovers that Jackie was a cop, prompting his ex, Gail (Rosario Dawson), and Dwight to hide the murder.

I think I got that right. That was tough, man. I hate it when it seems like the plot is much more complicated than it really is. It's not complicated to follow at all, but I don't mean that it's simple either. It possesses the simplicity that all graphic novel plots possess, littered with obscenities, over-the-top dialogue and emotions, and loads of naked/scantily clad women. Just the way it is. Basically, it's rated 18A for many a good reason.

Here's what I know: Robert Rodriguez (writer/co-director/editor/cinematographer/co-composer) filmed the first section, and he handed it over to Frank Miller, telling him that that was the movie he would make. Miller, who co-directed with Rodriguez, had long resisted a feature film because he didn't want his stories to be butchered or to lose creative control of them. As soon as he watched it, Miller signed on.

Alright, the commercials praising the movie are out now, and I want you to think about all the superlatives you have heard applied to this movie, e.g. "Visually stunning!", "Bold!", "Amazing!", "Must see picture of the year!", etc.

They're all true. All of them. It is the most bold, amazing, visually stunning picture of the year, and I can already tell that nothing come Oscar season is going to make me knock this one from my top 10.

Considering that everything was filmed on a blue/green screen and that they had to deliver all the dirty/corny dialogue, the acting is as top drawer as it comes. I mean, the movie was running over with both people I love and hate, but I didn't hate anyone here. Not a single line, not even a syllable. Rodriguez captured everything there is to love about a graphic novel, drenched it in digital blood and rain, and delivered the most captivating labour of love I have seen in a long time.

And the audience was right there with me! I usually can only barely stand audiences, but everyone was there reacting so vocally that I almost wanted to watch their faces instead of the screen.

Okay, almost is a stretch. Rodriguez and Miller had me from frame one. So noir, so very noir. I'm not sure anything beats a well done noir movie that draws so many people in.

And afterwards, I watched the faces of the people streaming out, determining whose mind had been blown and who didn't have the good sense to feel that way.

I was going to single out certain performances, but it's hard to separate anyone out from the package right now. With the completely different stories taking place apart from each other, it doesn't make sense to call it an ensemble piece, but I don't know what else it could be. My dear Owen continues to redeem himself to the viewers, making them forget all about that unfortunate episode. It's a truly talented actor who can do that.

I just don't know where to start. They were all too good. No one struck me as a weak link. Stahl knocked my socks off again; Alba made me like her, as did Willis; Rourke nearly stole the show; Dawson also redeemed herself in my eyes.

It was almost too much to take in. Even now, I'm struggling to come up with the right words to describe something so unique and brilliant (hence the long post).

It's a masterpiece. The end. A+ (with a gold star, too)

No comments:

Post a Comment