Friday, April 22, 2005

Easy Rider (1969)

Plot: Wyatt (Peter Fonda) and Billy (Dennis Hopper) set out on a motorcycle trip from LA to New Orleans, picking up George Hansen (Jack Nicholson) along the way.

I'm shaking my head at this movie. I watched it nearly a week ago, and I still don't get it. I just don't get it.

It's the supposed quintessential movie of the sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll generation, of the counter-culture, of the independents. Alright. Hopper was stoned out of his mind when he made the movie (true story!), so I can buy at least two of the three.

What is this movie about? What are Hopper (director/co-writer), Fonda (co-writer), and Terry Southern (co-writer) saying? Hippies are misunderstood and frequently the victims of violence? Drugs are both good and bad? Road trips can be fun? Some people are nice and some aren't?

For example, you see complete strangers willing to feed and/or board Wyatt and Billy. Then you see a cafe that refuses to serve them because they have "long hair" (Fonda's hair wasn't long at all) and are strange strangers.

I know I should comment on the acting, but it wasn't acting at all. I know there were screenwriters, but I doubt there was much of a script. I think Hopper and Fonda just said whatever they wanted to say, Nicholson played a character (which, I find, Nicholson basically plays a version of himself in everything), and everyone else did what they could with what they had.

Also, what was with the editing and cinematography? What do you want from me Donn Cambern? Those edits made me feel like I would never really get to know what was happening. If that was the point, though, then good work.

I got the impression that although the film wasn't about following any particular plot, it was supposed to be saying something about America. Is it the sum of its parts? Is it that there is always someone waiting to take away the occasionally glimmer of happiness that few are lucky enough to find?

Perhaps. You won't find it here, though. C- (I can't fail it just because I don't get it)

No comments:

Post a Comment