Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Twist (2003)

Plot: An updated version of Dickens' Oliver Twist, wherein Dodge (Nick Stahl) is the protagonist. And instead of being pickpockets, they're male prostitutes. I just thought I'd warn you now. In any case, Dodge meets Oliver (Joshua Close) and takes him to Fagin (Gary Farmer), who is kind of like their pimp. They have a super-pimp, Bill, who also pimps young ladies and owns the diner where they all congregate, which is run by his old lady, Nancy (Michèle-Barbara Pelletier).

That was really difficult to explain, man. It's not complex when you watch it, should you want to. I should have just stuck with the first two sentences, no?

I'll admit now that I'm not really a Dickens fan, and I did always think that Dodge was the more compelling character. As such, I can understand why Jacob Tierney (writer/director) chose that route.

Plus, he's got Stahl in the role. Despite some of his choices, he's a solid actor. What kills me, though, - and this might give something away - is that I thought his Canadian accent (for it is a Canadian movie set in Toronto) sound a lot like a certain French-Canadian young man that I know. Low and behold if his character doesn't turn out to be from Québec. That stuff can't be beat! If nothing else, you've gotta give an actor research. Also, I never doubted for a moment that what we learned about Dodge's background from Stahl's performance. He was every bit the haunted child forced to grow up much too soon.

Close was also good, although not as magnetic. He's young and fairly new, though, so I'll go as far as to say that he as promise. He didn't give me quite enough to figure out why Oliver would prostitute himself so quickly, though.

Farmer was your usual tough sweetheart, and Pelletier was lovable and sympathetic, although I don't know how she would have played Nancy not to be sympathetic.

I also like Tierney's decision to never show us Bill. It's hard to imagine who would have played such a demon. Tierney frames the movie well, although it is a bit heavy handed at times. I also got the feel of not independent, per se, but amateur. I don't mean that in an immature way; I mean that he's still finding his feet as a director, and I like that.

I waited for over a year for a chance to see this movie. Was it worth the wait? Not really. Especially since I really don't understand big brother David's point. If someone can explain it to me, I might go it for it. B

No comments:

Post a Comment