Thursday, February 10, 2005

Sideways (2004)

Premise: Rather than a bachelor party, Miles (Paul Giamatti) takes his best friend Jack (Thomas Hayden Church) on a week touring through wine country. Jack finds himself a pour girl, Stephanie (Sandra Oh), and tries to get Miles to noticed that a waitress, Maya (Virginia Madsen), has a crush on him.

I have for some time now oscillated in my desire to see this movie. I want to, I'll wait for the DVD. I want, I'll wait for the DVD. Over and over again.

One day, however, I really wanted to see a movie, and I thought, "Why not see what American critics have almost unanimously declared the movie of the year?"

Why not indeed.

Of course, my wary desire for the movie reminds me a lot of Alexander Payne's (co-writer and director) protagonists. There's something about his leading men that's so accessible and off-putting. There usually likeable chaps in one way or another, but they are also unapologetic asses who keep everyone at arm's length - especially themselves. They do try to relate, at least when they want to, but they always fail because they can't connect with their own emotions.

And, of the three Payne movies I've see, Giamatti is the most natural fit for that kind of a character. I was reading TWoP the other day, and, in a small comment about the commercials, the recapper called him the "anti-Tom Hanks." I've been trying to figure that out ever since. I think it has to do with the way they both seem like the "every man" type, but Hanks is also good looking and charming and gets heaps of awards. Giamatti, on the other hand, is the real kind of every man - he's snarky and makes slightly less than funny jokes and isn't as good looking. There's something about him, though. I really felt like I knew Miles.

And when he gives that speech about the pinot grape - man - I wanted to hand over every award I could lay my hands on. My breath just caught in my chest at how painfully blind and poetic he is.

Here's the kicker - Payne and co-writer Jim Taylor gave Maya a speech that tops it to follow. That may all by Madsen's doing, but I had absolute tears in my eyes. It was so passionate and sexy and raw. Nothing was rushed or off in the delivery.

Where has she been hiding all these years? I have literally never seen anything else she's been in, and I've clearly been missing out.

Also, Oh is very hot. I just thought I'd mention it.

I don't have much to say about Church, except that he was the perfect foil for Miles/Giamatti, which I realize is saying a lot.

So was it the best movie of the year? Quite possibly. A+

No comments:

Post a Comment