Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Intermission (2003)

Sum: The various lives of none-too-pleasant people living in Dublin intersect in funny and violent ways.

I'd get into it, but basically speaking it was one of those movies where lots of different plot lines come together, and none of them in a particularly spectacular way. It's a good use of that genre, if you like to call it one as I do, but it doesn't provide any new insight into that we haven't already seen in, say, Magnolia.

I've waited for a few weeks now for the thoughts to come together on this one, and they're still not doing that. I think that's because there's nothing remarkable about this movie. It's enjoyable, and I won't come out against it. But it's nothing special, you know?

Director John Crowley has only one other movie under his belt, and writer Mark O'Rowe has nothing else. That's just as well. I laughed when things were funny, and I was dutifully horrified at horrifying times. There was nothing more to do.

Mostly I just kept thinking that Colin Farrell should stop punching women in the face, and that the TV guy was pretty darn cute. It's been so long, however, that I don't even remember his character's name. Or there was nothing memorable about it.

Oh, okay, I shouted "Yay! Kelly MacDonald!" because I have had an absolutely baseless love for her ever since Gosford Park. That was the most memorable bit, though.

Now, we all know that I find people from the UK far more hilarious that people from the US, so why didn't this movie work for me?

Because it was nothing short of average. Average is great if that's all your looking for, but sometimes you want something more. Something special. C

No comments:

Post a Comment