Monday, July 05, 2004

Wilde (1997)

Brief: The life and times of Oscar Wilde. Oh, alright: the story of Oscar Wilde’s (Stephen Fry) marriage to Constance (Jennifer Ehle), who introduces Oscar to Robbie Ross (Michael Sheen). Robbie introduces Oscar to his desire for “gross indecency”, as well as a plethora of other men, including John Gray (Ioan Gruffudd) and Oscar’s long time lover, Lord Alfred “Bosie” Douglas (Jude Law). The Marquess of Queensberry (Tom Wilkinson), Bosie’s father, leads a witch-hunt against Wilde for “buggering” his son.

Basically, a fine English film.

Okay, I confess. As much as I like Oscar Wilde, his writing, and many of the actors in this film, it was when I read that Gruffudd was in it that I was finally pushed over the edge into renting it. Or, rather, attempting to rent it. It was missing within the confines of the Blockbuster. I found it unbelievable that anyone other than me, much less multiple people, would want to rent it. I was right.

But they should! Well, okay, maybe they shouldn’t. It’s definitely the kind of film that appeals to me, but I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone.

Here’s what I think:
Ehle has the sweetest face I have ever seen, and she is talented as well.
Law has got that whole selfish, beastly, highly sexual character thing down. And he is quite comfortable with his body.
Wilkinson is stellar. Honestly, he’s amazing, and it seems there is nothing that he can’t do.

I’m not at all familiar with Brian Gilbert (director) or Julian Mitchell (writer). Mitchell’s character development left something to be desired in certain cases, but Gilbert did his best to pick up the slack.

Also, it seems that Mitchell would have us believe that everyone in Victorian/Turn of the Century England was gay and coming onto Wilde.

I cannot understand why Orlando Bloom is billed so high considering that he has one line. I mean, I know you have to bill everyone who has a speaking part, but that’s just silly.

Although, there is Vanessa Redgrave to balance it out. Who’s going to argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment