Saturday, July 24, 2004

To End All Wars (2001)

Premise: True story of POWS in WWII would were forced to build a railroad through the Burmese jungle.  More specifically, the true story of Ernest Gordon (Ciarán McMenamin), who started a university in their camp after he was captured with his entire Scottish regiment.  He taught philosophy.  His commander, Campbell (Robert Carlyle), resented Ernest’s efforts and focused on escape and/or overthrowing the camp instead.  Ernest found inspiration and direction instead in Dusty (Mark Strong), a self-sacrificing idealist.  Meanwhile, the sole American, a merchant marine named Reardon (Kiefer Sutherland), sought to make the situation as profitable as it could be for him.   

Who is impressed at how long it has been since I watched/reviewed a Kiefer Sutherland movie?  I said I was through, and I was. 

Nonetheless, Carlyle is one of the greatest actors ever, and I heard this film was great.  All in all, I felt I owed it to myself to see it. 

And it did not disappoint.  Not only is this one of the best war films I have ever seen, but I also believe it is the best Sutherland film I have ever seen. 

Editor’s Note: when I say “best war film”, I mean the best film set during a war.  I don’t know how it compares in terms of accuracy or realism about combat/POWs. 

Carlyle is truly a chameleon.  For all I make of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as one, I don’t believe he possesses the raw talent of Carlyle, the absolute ability to transform himself into anything.  There are very few actors that are as powerful to watch. 

McMenamin, despite being Irish rather than Scottish, holds his own against some overwhelming co-stars and does a pretty good Scottish accent while he’s at it.  He’s got these crazy coloured eyes that are so expressive, you can barely take your eyes off them. 

Why, oh why, hasn’t Brian Godawa written anything else?  I feel really ripped off knowing that fact.  Slighted, even. 

And David L. Cunningham (director), what an amazing voice you have – so strong, quiet, subdued. 

This film will rip your heart right out of your chest.  I don’t recall the last time I saw something so heartbreaking (minus the personal heartbreak of the King Arthur fiasco). 

Please don’t misunderstand me.  I wasn’t walking around with a mistaken idea of what life was like for POWs.  The film will break your heart in a million different ways that have very little to do with their treatment. 

It deals freedom and sacrifice in ways that you and I cannot even imagine. 

Because it is true, I do imagine that we all need to see this film over and over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment