Sunday, July 25, 2004

Valmont (1989)

Idea: As you might have surmised, yet another adaptation of Les liasons dangereuses.  In this case, we see Colin Firth as the title character; Annette Benning as the scheming, envious Merteuil; Fairuza Balk as the virtuous but naïve Cecile; Meg Tilley as the similar but married Tourvel; and Henry Thomas as the gallant but misguided Danceny. 

Inasmuch as Milos Forman (director, Amadeus) tells a good story, this is not the version I would recommend to anyone looking for a tale of passion, seduction, and betrayal. 

For that is what Les liasons dangereuses is, let us not forget.  When I watch it, I expect to see Valmont as the epitome of the rake and Merteuil as, frankly, a “cautionary tale” of what power can “do to a woman.” 

Caution!  Spoilers Ahead!

What I can say that I liked best about this version is that Valmont never falls in love with anyone other than Merteuil.  He never, for even a second, repents of his ways.  That, I believe, is who Valmont truly is. 

So, thank you, Jean-Claude Carriere, Milos Forman, and Jan Novak. Unfortunately, you missed the boat on every other aspect. 

My main concern with this movie is the casting.  If this movie were made today with the same actors, I would probably gobble it up.  But it wasn’t, and I didn’t. 

Instead, I found myself wondering why Firth was such a nice rake and why he hadn’t given anyone one of his “looks”.  Perhaps he had yet to perfect them.  I also wondered why all these French people had British accents, but that’s a road I’ve already covered. 

And Benning.  While truly a talented actress today, her Merteuil lacks the sexuality and definition that, say, Glenn Close brought to the character.  Instead, she flounders around for most of the movie, unsure, until she finally decides to have Valmont killed.  Perhaps that was her take on the character. 

A weak take in my opinion.  Merteuil was so frightening to men and yet so desirable because she never backed down.  Without that quality, Merteuil is simply a slut. 

And don’t even get me started on the rape mythology perpetuated by this story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment