Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Greenfingers (2000)

Summary: When Colin Briggs (Clive Owen) is transferred to Edgefield, an open concept prison, he intends to keep his nose clean until he’s up for parole. But his kindly roommate, Fergus (David Kelly), rubs off on him, and Colin discovers that he has a natural affinity for gardening. When acclaimed gardener Georgina Woodhouse (Helen Mirren), Colin’s gardening idol, spies their prison garden, she decides to sponsor them in the prestigious Hampton Court Garden Show.

And here’s the kicker: “Inspired by actual events”.

Okay, do you see that year? It made me say “SHUT UP!” because this is absolute insanity.

This movie is so funny! How do the British do it? Why do all these crazy things happen over in that little country? In a place where the population density is 377 people/km2 , I don’t understand how the people have room to think, much less think hysterical thoughts.

I really, really wish Joel Hershman (writer/director) made more movies. This spirited outing is glib and charming, and I, for one, want more.

I don’t think you need me to tell you about my love for Helen Mirren, David Kelly, and Clive Owen again, do you?

Well, maybe a little bit.

Owen, while sexy and talented, might not be best suited to comedy. I enjoyed him here, but I think there could have been more. I’d have to see more of him to be sure. Speaking of seeing more of him, King Arthur comes out tomorrow. I’m pumped to see it on Friday. Y’all are welcome to join me.

I think this is definitely one that you will have to make up your minds about yourself. I mean, it’s not that I am under the impression that I decide these things for you. I’m saying that this comedy, while hilarious, doesn’t feel like it has a home for everyone in it. I suppose that would be its only major flaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment