Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Untamed Heart (1993)

Brief: I'm trying to figure out how much the trailer/back of the box will tell you. Okay, after he saves her from an attempted rape, Caroline (Maris Tomei) realizes that Adam (Christian Slater) is in love with her. As she learns more about him, she decides to fall in love with him, too. She also learns that he is convinced that he has the heart of a baboon king in his chest.

Yeah, good enough. Oh, man, this movie takes me back. You know when people ask you what your favourite childhood movie was? And you answer something like Robin Hood - the one with the foxes - or The Wizard of Oz? Well, I blabbed out Untamed Heart once, and it just sort of stuck. Honestly, it is a movie I watched and loved as a child. Like Ferris Buller's Day Off. And Mannequin 2: On the Move. Not Mannequin. Mannequin 2. I was a strange kid.

You know why I still love it, though? Tomei and Slater are awesome! Their are so believable as star-crossed lovers, and their sweetly innocent chemistry makes it all the more poignant. While Slater seems to have fallen off the wagon, Tomei has proven herself again and again as an actress of substance.

Get this! It's directed by Tony Bill! Remember when I told y'all about Five Corners, the movie that only Carol and I had ever heard of? Well, he directed this movie as well. It's sweet, and simple, and well done. Bill's direction shows that he knows when to give and when to take.

As for Tom Sierchio (writer), well, he's not done anything else. There is, however, an "untitled Tom Sierchio project" due out this year, so I'm glad he's turning that around. His script's not the best, but with good editing, direction, and acting, he seems like winner.

I'm so giddy just writing about this movie! You know that's a good sign. So take the time to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment