Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Saving Grace (2000)

Short: After her husband passes away, Grace (Brenda Blethyn) discovers that she is deeply in debt and will lose her house. Her gardener, Matthew (Craig Ferguson), and she start a grow operation in order to make some quick coin in their small Irish town.

Before anyone accuses me of having a year 2000 bias, I tell you truly that I had no idea this movie was from the year 2000. How was I supposed to know? I just knew about the ghonja (?).

In any case, the real concern here would be why are the British so hilarious? Has anyone figured out why they are so much funnier than you or I? Well, actually, Canadians are some of the funniest people on planet. Probably because we are always kidding on the square. All things considered, though, most people think the British are hilarious, and it isn't only an obsession with drinking tea and strong beer. I don't know how to explain it - it just is that way.

Another inexplicable thing is the uncanny talent of Blethyn and the endearing chemistry between her and Ferguson, who is also the script's co-author. Blethyn is truly one of the most talented actresses out there, with a near-frightening ability to do the height of comedy and the depth of tragedy with equal grace and skill.

The movie's directed by Nigel Cole, and it makes me all the more excited to see his latest, Calendar Girls. Actually, Saving Grace is his silver screen directorial debut, and, well, he's got one heck of a knack for comedy. I think it's true what they say about comedy: it is harder than drama. I suppose that's the point. I mean, how many people have you come across who can make you laugh until you cry?

I'd go on, but I'm afraid I could never do justice to the quirks and particularities of small town life, especially, it seems, in a small Irish town. I guess you'll just have to trust me on this one until you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment