Monday, May 03, 2004

Being John Malkovich (1999)

Premise: A talented puppeteer, Craig Schwartz (John Cusack), takes a job as a file clerk at the behest of his pet-obsessed wife, Lotte (Cameron Diaz). After he drops a file behind a cabinet, he discovers a portal that leads inside John Malkovich's (himself) head. He and his wife fall for his business partner, Maxine (Caroline Keener), who is only interested in either of them when they are inside Malkovich. Eventually, Craig learns how to control Malkovich, and Maxine convinces him to stay in there, permanently.

Man, I thought that was a long plot description, but it doesn't even begin to cover what goes on in the movie. The best part is, I feel, that no one doubts or questions the fact that Craig finds this portal. No one even accuses him of being out of his mind. That kills me.

Here's another thing. I just realized the last time I watched this movie that Malkovich is the most talented person of the lot. I know it seems really obvious because of how crazy talented he is, but he has to act like Malkovich being controlled by someone else while fighting to be Malkovich. In other words, he has to take the stunning performance Cusack gives and replicate it while destroying it. It's wild.

Which, of course, would be the best word to describe Charlie Kaufman's screenplay. Everything that is said or occurs in his movies is so off the wall that it's hard to judge. Everything is fantasy, but nothing seems that out of the ordinary or unlikely. I don't understand how he does it. All I know is how amazing it all is to take in.

Spike Jonze, the director, must know what I mean because they have a new project due out next year. Other than that, he was a music video director before this. He definitely knows how to grab and sustain your attention.

Also, Sean Penn has a cameo that kills me. Honestly, so funny.

For some reason, I found this movie in the comedy section. That's the thing about Kaufman, I guess. There are definitely funny parts, but it's not a comedy. It's fantasy and drama and action as well. I suppose it was simply difficult to categorize.

No comments:

Post a Comment