Sunday, May 23, 2004

The Karate Kid (1984)

Plan: After Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) saves him from getting worked over, Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) gets the master to agree to teach him karate. Miyagi teaches him about much more than fighting. Oh, and Daniel has a girlfriend, Ali Mills (Elizabeth Shue).

1984! Can you believe it? That blows my mind! I feel really old now that I have read that.

Here's another fun fact: Macchio was 22 when he made the movie. His character was 16, he looked about 14, but he was 22. That makes the karate kid 43. As if. As if.

John G. Avildsen apparently likes to direct movies where people hit each other. I mean, don't get me wrong, with Rocky to his credit, he does it really well, but doesn't that seem a little weird? I think it's weird. In any case, his direction is a lot of fun, showing that he doesn't take anything (except hitting people) very seriously. It's a good thing in a movie as campy as this one.

As for Robert Mark Kamen, the writer, well, he likes movies where people hit each other as well (e.g. The Transporter and Kiss of the Dragon). His dialogue is a bit over the top when it comes to the cheesy factor. Actually, I really liked Kiss of the Dragon, but that's beside the point.

The point is that Pat is the best part of the movie. I think everyone should know a wise old man like Pat. Pat had all the best lines, and no one else really compares to him in the movie. Okay, maybe Mrs. LaRusso (Randee Heller). She was a pretty cool mom.

Actually, now that I think about it, the song is best part of the movie. Seriously, it goes "You're the best/Around/Nothing's gonna ever keep you down" over and over again. That song is awesome.

So, boiled down, you missed out on your childhood if you are part of my generation and haven't seen this movie. It was on pretty much every Saturday when we were young, and I know there was at least one rainy afternoon where your mom made you stay in. If there wasn't, then you need to pick one to watch it now. You will learn so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment