Thursday, March 24, 2005

Iris (2001)

Brief: The beginning of the life-long romance between Iris Murdoch (Kate Winslet) and John Bayley (Hugh Bonneville) is juxtaposed with her later descent into Alzhemier's as John (Jim Broadbent) struggles to care for Iris (Judi Dench) on his own.

I'm watching a lot of juxtaposition lately, aren't I?

Unfortunately, I'm also watching a lot of movies that I don't really connect with emotionally. Broadbent earned his many awards and nominations and then some. His portrayal was so brutal. Everything he did and said was so honest. It hurt to watch. It just hurt.

Dench pretty much seemed like she was slowly losing her mind, so I approve of her as well. I can't help but wonder if it is more like Hagar's point of view in The Stone Angel, but I guess I don't really want to know anyway.

What I failed to connect with - and this may shock you - was the Kate Winslet/Hugh Bonneville early years bit. What I didn't get at all, what Richard Eyre and Charles Wood's screenplay never gave me, was what was so darn great about Iris. Why did John put up with her? Where was this legendary lust for life and love? She would have made a fun friend to be sure, but there was nothing more to it.

Could it be that Martin Walsh left all the good bits on the cutting room floor? He's edited other movies that I've very much enjoyed, so it's tough to say.

But something went wrong here. Something's missing. The heart, perhaps. C

No comments:

Post a Comment