Tuesday, March 15, 2005

. . . and justice for all (1979)

Summary: An ethical lawyer, Arthur Kirkland (Al Pacino), is blackmailed into representing a judge, Henry T. Fleming (John Forsythe), who is accused of the rape and battery of a young woman.

I don't have much to say about this magnificent piece of work except to point out that Norman Jewison (director) rocks. I've always questioned his choices, but I'm right behind him here. Man, that final (courtroom - who woulda thunk it?) scene was filmed in a single take! How could that be if everything had no come together so seamlessly? So flawlessly? Who else could be responsible for that exceptional scene if not the director?

Sure, Pacino was in fine form. He may have even been in top form. Pacino may be insanely operatic now but back then . . . oh, Pacino in the seventies. Barely taller than me, he's one of the most commanding screen presences I've ever seen. He is there, and you will look! He speaks, and you will listen! It's a wonderment to see him like this.

And Jack Warden as the possibly crazy Judge Francis Rayford. That's a good time right there. Kirkland reveals something about his character that I didn't think of on my own, and, after that, suddenly that was all I could see. He's good.

All I can say about the screenplay is that inspired me to watch more Barry Levinson. You might think it's riddled with clichés, but I don't think most of them existed a quarter century ago.

Heck, you should watch it just for Dave Grusin's jaunty music. A

No comments:

Post a Comment