Thursday, March 10, 2005

Rent

Premise, Act I: It's Christmas Eve. Mark and Roger are best friends and roomies. Benny, who used to be one of their roomies and now owns the run-down former music publishing house they live in, shows up demanding last year's rent. Mark and Roger, of course, can't pay, so Benny offers them an exchange. Benny also owns the lot next door, and he plans to evict the tent city that has sprung up there. Maureen, Mark's ex, is planning a protest, and they are golden if they can get her to stop it. They don't even bother trying.

Meanwhile, their friend Tom Collins is rescued by drag queen Angel after he is mugged, and they take up together. Roger meets their downstairs neighbour Mimi, and they like each other, too.

Premise, Act II: Everyone breaks back into their padlocked building on New Year's, and the rest of the musical chronicles their lives for the next year.

Now I can't technically review something I saw in the theatre. I just wanted to tell you that I went to see it at the NAC, that it was amazing, and that I think you should go.

That's it. Really. Rock operetta's rock, and I would recommend this Pulitzer Prize winning adaptation of Puccini's La Boheme to anyone.

Only don't go see it with Drew Lachey and Melanie Brown. That offends me and Rent, I think. The people I saw peform were virtual unknowns, and I think it was better than way.

My only problem was the trecaley ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment