Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Shape of Things (2003)

Premise: Jenny (Gretchen Mol) and Philip (Fred Weller) become worried about the changes in Adam (Paul Rudd) after he starts dating Evelyn (Rachel Weisz).

You know what the best part is? Those are the only four speaking parts in the whole movie. That’s it. Four. There’s something about the simplicity of it that really appeals to me.

So my kudos go to writer/director Neil LaBrute, for this thought-provoking work based on his play. It’s not incredibly brilliant or beautiful, but it does make you think. It forces you think about love, friendship, honesty, and betrayal. Actually, much of what happens I found outrageous, but the characters don’t see things the way I do.

Or, as the tagline says, “Seduction is an art.”

The most impressive part, however, is that I didn’t want to kill Mol at any point during the movie. She’s a terrible actress, and I was so glad when the media got over her as an It girl. But her role in the movie isn’t so large that I would have to throw things at the screen. I think she might have even had a convincing emotion at one point. I could be mistaken, though.

The best parts were Rudd and Weisz. They were both very credible as seductress and seduced. Rudd manages to let his everyman charm carry him through another film, and Weisz is slowly proving herself a more than just a pretty face. She goes after Evelyn with well tempered gusto.

Oooo, you get new and old Elvis Costello music ta boot. It’s a nice bonus.

Oh, and if you are a James Joyce fan, this article will blow your mind. I don't even understand how it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment