Sunday, June 13, 2004

Donnie Brasco (1997)

Brief: In 1978, FBI Special Agent Joe Pistone (Johnny Depp) went undercover in the Brooklyn borough as Donnie Brasco. Lefty (Al Pacino) vouched for him, and the rest is history.

Man, did this movie ever make me upset. But we'll get to that later.

Oh, "based on a true story". Those words pretty much make my day. Serious, that's all it takes sometimes to get me interested in a movie. Except Radio. I just don't want to see that movie.

Hurrah for Mike Newell (director) and Paul Attanasio (writer)! I didn't really think much of them before, but they did a good job here. I especially enjoyed the camera direction. It's not just an over-the-shoulder or a close-up, oh no. It's an over-the-shoulder zoom in. I dig that. I think close-ups and extreme close-ups are overdone nowadays anyway. Ooooo, drama.

Al Pacino, folks. I don't think I've kept the fact that he is my favourite actor a secret. I know that's pretty prosaic, but what do you want from me? He so subtle one minute then a roaring lion the next. His absolute magnetic charisma keeps my eyes locked on him.

And Johnny Depp. His invisibility, his intensity, his looks. A powerful combination. To be honest, though, I like him better now. He was always talented, and I was glad to watch him, but I think he's finally grown into himself, you know? Like he's reached the point where is comfortable in his own skin. In a profession where you are constantly taking on the characteristics of others, who you are is the most important thing you could ever know.

Alright, the part that upset me. Betrayal. Betrayal really gets to me. The thing about it is that isn't betrayal unless it comes from someone you know, trust, and love. It always comes sealed with a kiss. I'm not talking about the boy-steals-friend's-girl "betrayal"; I'm talking about the life-and-death real deal. Circumstances don't matter. It isn't about money or power or revenge - it's you and him. That's all it is.

And as the betrayer, you hold his life in your hand like grains of sand. You squeeze your fist, the grains slowly pour away, and he's gone. Just like that. Because you made the choice. Somewhere along the line, you decided that you were better than him, that you were worth more, that you deserved to live. And you have to live with that. For the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment