Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Glengerry Glen Ross (1992)

Plan: Following four real estate salesmen, Shelly Levene (Jack Lemmon), Ricky Roma (Al Pacino), Dave Moss (Ed Harris), and George Aaronow (Alan Arkin) after their manager, John (Kevin Spacey), and their bosses Mitch & Murray bring in Blake (Alec Baldwin) to give them the new sales strategy/contest. It's pretty simple actually. "First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Or, as the tagline says, "Lie. Cheat. Steal. All in a day's work."

Or, to quote another one of David Mamet's screenplays, "What a FIND you are!" That's
State and Main, by the way. Just in case it comes up.

Okay, so I bought Bob Roberts a while back. One of the previews that came with it was for this film. The cast alone made me rent it. I mean, did you read it? Did you?

And the whole time I was watching it I kept thinking about when Spacey presented Pacino with his life time achievement award at the Golden Globes a few years back. It was so obvious how much it meant to him. It must have been so amazing to have gotten to work with them all right then like he did. He may be a bonafide talented now, but, back then . . . well, I would have wilted.

My other thoughts were about the day I learned that Lemmon had passed away. I was on a plane, and we watched The Apartment in his memory. It's a terrific black comedy, if you feel like checking it out. But in this film - watch his face. I don't even understand how it is possible to convey that much. Not that much anything specific, just that much. You'll have to see it to comprehend what I am trying to convey.

Pacino, Harris, Arkin; what can I say? Are there things that I can say? Are there words to explain how this movie will simple bowl you over?

I know I've mentioned him before, but how much do I enjoy Mamet? He adapted this screenplay from his play, and it shows. The few sets, the camera's focus on the characters. I think the movie is the better for it. His characterization is killer. Since I am at a loss for words, you would be better off reading my review of State and Main.

With James Foley (director), I could either way. Really, I feel very neutral about him at this point.

Without a doubt, see this movie. See it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment