Saturday, June 26, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)

Subject: (because documentaries don’t have plots) Focusing on the lies and cover-ups of the United States government surrounding the 9/11 attacks, the War on Terror, and the War on Iraq, including the Bush family’s connections with the Bin Ladens.

Basically, it’s a lot like Dude, Where’s my Country and then some.

I’ve been struggling for a few hours now over my opinion of Michael Moore’s latest. It has a very different feel than his other movies and TV shows. For one, you see decidedly less of his face. Like it or not, Moore is generally the star of his movies, but in this film he takes a back seat to those affected by the War on Iraq. He does what few others in the media have done – he focuses on those at the ground floor: on the soldiers themselves and on the families of those who have lost their children to that senseless and needless war.

In Bowling for Columbine, I spent my time oscillating between laughter and shocked horror. Today, most of the time, burning tears of indignation welled up in my eyes. Yes, there were still laughs to be had (mostly at Dubya’s expense). Even so, Moore didn’t pull any punches. What resulted was a heartbreaking work.

And it made me think. As I looked around the sold-out theatre, it wasn’t mostly young urban politcals like Carol and I (aren’t I humble?) that I saw around me. It was everyone. I saw everyone. I saw people young and old, of all nationalities, of all possible backgrounds.

And it wasn’t that I realized that everyone is like me in that we are all conspiracy nuts. That’s not it at all. I realized that all of us, no matter how much we fight it, no matter how old or cynical we get, still want to believe that one person can make a difference. We want someone to tell us, to inspire us to believe that we can have an impact.

Yes, Moore can be abrasive. Yes, he is clearly very sly. Yes, the movie had horrifying implications and sights. It wasn’t anything more, though, than we see everyday on the news, in the papers, and hear on the radio. And it isn’t anything more that you can handle.

So, did Michael (we’re on a first name basis, now) live up to the Palme D’Or (top prize) that the Cannes jury awarded him? I think so. It truly is the most incendiary film I have ever seen, and I hope that you see it, too. As soon as you possibly can, if not sooner.

For a completely different perspective on Moore, check out this article.

As long as we are politically charged, here's a quiz to help you figure out which party best suits your political tastes.

Also, in case you've seen me or someone else sporting a "Stop Harper" button, here's the website, so you can get more information about the movement and even sign the petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment