Saturday, June 05, 2004

One Fine Day (1996)

Short: Jack Taylor (George Clooney), divorced father of Maggie (Mae Whitman), meets Melanie Parker (Michelle Pfeiffer), divorced mother of Sammy (Alex D. Linz), when they both show up late to their kid's field trip. They decide, despite their quick judgements of each other, to help each other out for the day when it comes to looking after the kids. Sparks fly. Because love can happen in one day, right?

Except that it can't. But that's beside the point.

I remember when I saw this movie in the theatre, I was disappointed. But, when I watched it again, I was pleasantly unimpressed because I didn't expect much in the first place. When it comes to seeing a movie a second time, it's okay to lower your expectations. There are very few situations in which you should lower your expectations, but this is one where it is appropriate.

Here's the thing though: what is with this movie expecting me to believe that Pfeiffer doesn't have men throwing themselves at her? I mean it, I can't stand these movies where obviously beautiful women are supposed to be unattractive. Who are they kidding? It's not like they gave her a big fake nose or something.

As for Clooney, I think he wasn't really as good then as he is now. He was too stigmatized by Dr. Ross. I'm sure it was a tough mold to break out of, but I like him a lot better for it.

So, um, yeah, Michael Hoffman (director), Terrel Seltzer (writer), and Ellen Simon (writer). Not good. In fact, pretty bad. But cute kids and good looking adults do their best to save that.

But, to balance out this not-so-good feel good movie and to make up for my lack of recent posts, I thought I would throw in a Top 5 for good measure.

Top 5 Tear Jerkers
1. Dead Poets Society (O captain, my captain!)
2. Swing Kids (Swing Hiel, Peter! Swing Hiel!)
3. Frequency I can't handle fathers and sons who say I love you
4. With Honors close enough to the above
5. The Prince of Egypt parting of the Red Sea, enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment