Tuesday, February 24, 2004

True Romance

Brief: Christian Slater meets Patricia Arquette. After they have sex, he discovers that she is a call girl hired by his boss. They get married, and he goes to her pimp to pick up her stuff. He kills her pimp because he beats up women and was going to come after them, and he accidentally takes the wrong suitcase. He grabs one filled with uncut cocaine, and they decide to go on the run and sell it. Craziness ensues.

So I watched this movie because someone told me that it was my kind of movie. It was written by Quentin Tarentino and directed by Tony Scott. I get the impression that people consider me a Quentin Tarentino kind of girl. To be honest, I'm not sure why. Previous to this, I had seen one, only one, Quentin Tarentino movie: Four Rooms. And, I swear, I'm the only person who has ever seen Four Rooms. I was quite young then, and I thought it was really weird. Other than that, I have little to no Quentin Tarentino experience, but I do know that he loves his violence. In fact, I understand that usually everyone dies in his movies.

That said, this movie is crazy. At first I was really excited as the opening credits rolled by because it is a star-studded extravaganza! Let me name off some names for you - Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Chris Penn, Tom Seizmore, Michael Rappaport, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Val Kilmer. Okay, it's mostly men, I see. Whatever.

But, as the movie rolled by, I became more and more upset. I found myself yelling about how this movie was by crazy people, about crazy people, and for crazy people. It sounded like this, "This movie is crazy! It's for crazy people! Crazy people!" Apparently, it is believed that that is what I like.

Well, I don't know. The movie had tons of violence/nudity/sexuality/coarse language. I've noticed that I rented the director's cut, so it is possible that the regular version has less of all the above.

I'd love to give you an opinion, people. Even now, days later, I find myself just muttering "crazy" under my breath when I look at it, which, in turn, makes me look even crazier. I admit that much of what happens is funny, especially Brad Pitt's character, Floyd. In the end, I have no opinion. It's just crazy. That is my opinion. If you want crazy, go ahead and rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment