Monday, February 16, 2004

Thirteen

Summary: Evan Rachel Wood plays a 13 year-old who does a lot of stuff that 13 year-olds should never, never do. Holly Hunter plays her disillusioned mother.

Warning! These girls are 13! Thirteen! If you don't want to see 13 year-olds do stuff that 13 year-olds should never, never do, then don't rent this movie because it's a true story. Yes, true. Just thought I would warn you.

Aside from my absolute shock over the plot, this film is bloody brilliant. Catherine Hardwicke, who also co-scripted, explores the taut relationship between mother and daughter when a girl comes of age in this shocking drama. Yes, I know I just used shock twice. That's what it is. Hardwicke uses coloured lenses to help express pathos. Nicely done.

Evan Rachel Wood is a deeply talented actor. Her pale skin is the physical representation of her acting style: she is transparent. She plays everything with simplicity, grace, and beauty. There are many more critically acclaimed actors who would do themselves a service by taking a page from her.

As for Holly Hunter, I just feel so bad for her. I feel so bad because she plays this mother so well that I wish I could help her. Her character struggles so hard to help her daughter, but her daughter just keeps shutting her out. And it's so sad because she is one of the coolest movie moms ever.

In the end, the movie could be more than you can handle. It's difficult to process how such things could possibly happen to someone so young. But they do happen. Sometimes, I think there may not be much we can do about it. Except pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment