Friday, March 05, 2010

The Short Take: Neglect 2009 - Part V

Only four movies left. I think I just overheard someone recommend 2012.

Jennifer's Body (2009)

It's Jacob's favourite movie of the year, and you can actually see the Jacob-reality disconnect when you watch it. The ideas underneath are as powerful a statement as you can imagine about the nature of feminism and the role of sex in trying to present woman as person. Despite what others may tell you, Megan Fox is actually kind of awesome (or at least awfsome) in the this movie. She's well suited to the role, and she brings a lot of energy to it. So it's too bad that a) someone wants me to believe that Amanda Seyfried is plain and b) this movie does not have the courage of its convictions. The opening narration makes a stronger point than anything follows in the movie. At least Kyle Gallner continues to be amazing. Too bad he only seems to be in horror movies lately. D

Fame (2009)

It's always funny when you can compare newer movies to older movies and realize how much more ballsy people used to be. If not in subject matter, certainly in the things they would say to one another. Basically, it's a lackluster remake of a movie that was, despite its fluffiness, far braver the first time around. And I still like the original theme song better. C

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009)

Depending on your point of view, this was either a lackluster attempt to cash in on the current (and forever) vampire craze or delightful departure therefrom. While it's not a perfect movie, the relish with which John C. Reilly and Willem Dafoe approach their roles almost makes up for any deficiencies. Yes, it is obviously just a set up for a (yet to materialize) sequel. But it's cute and sweet, and the second act set at the camp is actually the movie's best. If I had to choose which Weitz brother vampire saga adaptation I'd rather watch again, it would be this one. C

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

I need someone to explain to me when and how I turned the corner on Quentin Tarantino. It's not like I didn't like him before just to be contrary. I have tried, several times over, to watch Pulp Fiction and the apparently underrated Jackie Brown. I have never successfully sat through either one once. But man, do I groove on Death Proof (though not the full director's cut) and now Inglourious Basterds. It seems weird to compare them, but I'll do it anyway: despite the massive, obvious differences, Basterds has got the same joyous, freewheelin' vibe and man on a mission plotting as Fantastic Mr. Fox. I bet a double bill, if you've got the stomach for both, would make for one helluva night. Though it's overly and unnecessarily long, it's also well-acted and well-plotted. Who knew revisionist history could be so fun? B+

Aside from a movie title-less Bytowne ticket stub from Sunday, January 10, thus concludes by 2009 clean up. Hurrah! On to the top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment