Tuesday, March 16, 2010

She's Out of My League (2010)

I went into this one with my eyes open but perhaps too wide: I fully expected this movie to suck horribly. Basically, I thought I would go see it because I like Jay Baruchel, I would like him in it, and that would be the end of it. Surprisingly, it's not.

It's not high above* the level of suckage I initially anticipated, and that's not necessarily a knock against it. It does play like a raunchy, less carefully plotted version of The 40 Year-Old Virgin, and I think a lot more work needed to go into Kirk's (Baruchel) friend circle. Devon (Nate Torrence), the married-young-and-still-innocent one, and Jack (Mike Vogel), the ladies' man (maybe?), were ill-defined but still more likable than Stainer (T.J. Miller), who gets the majority of the screen time and seemingly holds stronger sway over Kirk for reasons that are again unclear. Aside from the fact that they all work at the same place, I couldn't really get a handle on the bond between them, and I think it damaged the movie overall because Kirk's relationship with his friends plays a big role in his perception and handling of his relationship with Molly (Alice Eve).

In case the broadsheet didn't make it clear, the entire plot is found in its tagline: How can a 10 go for a 5? Eve's quite sweet in the role, and there's an awkward chemistry between her and Baruchel that rings true. Beneath the sex-farce, there's a better movie about the value of confidence and its ability to overcome a host of real and perceived relationship shortcomings. Aside from two drawn-out "set piece" jokes that would have been best left on the cutting room floor, though, the finished product isn't too far off from that idea. C

Also, Krysten Ritter (Gia of V-Mars fame) totally rocks as the bitchy best friend.

*Was "She's So High Above Me" on the soundtrack? Yes, yes it was.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, that was not Everclear, it was some one-hit-wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet has deceived me! I shall remove the offending reference.

    ReplyDelete