Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kick-Ass (2010) & The A-Team (2010)

I think casting directors of the world and I need to have a little talk. During this little talk, we will discuss the hows and whys of casting far more compelling and talented actors as villains instead of in the lead roles. I get why you would want someone compelling in the bad guy role, I really do. But when you put them up against vacant spaces (Kick-Ass) or smug bastards (The A-Team), it's hard to want to see the good guys win.

Really, was there any single relationship in Kick-Ass as well drawn or fun to watch as Chris (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) and Frank D'Amico's (Mark Strong)? Sure, Chris sets Big Daddy (Nicholas Cage) up, and Frank shoots some random teenager in the street. But Frank takes Chris to the movies and makes sure he gets his Twizzlers! They watch TV together! Really, are you going to root for the guy who buys his 11 year-old a butterfly knife for her birthday and lets her use the saltiest language I've ever heard this side of Deadwood? Actually, I'm kind of confused as to where she picked up this stuff give the 1950s turns of phrase her father favours. Did Marcus speak to her this way? Point is, Mintz-Plasse makes Chris sparky and fun and lonely and weird in the best, most honest teenage way, so why would I care if boring Aaron Johnson saves the day? Also, there is no scuba suit in the world that flexible. C

I know it's standard now to make the first movie in what's meant to be a tentpole series an origin story, but let's go ahead and stop doing that now. Unless, of course, you wanted to see a 30-second opening narration turn feature length yet still make no sense at all. I mean, I do get it to an extent. If you wanted me to sit down and sketch out the basic plot, I could probably get it right. Of course, half of that's only upon reflection and discussion. But if you wanted me to sit down and sketch out the enjoyable parts of the movie, they would focus on Patrick Wilson's Lynch almost exclusively. Maybe Brian Bloom as Pike. But that's it! I'd much rather see Wilson have his silly little freak out in the car than pretty much anything involving Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copley, and Quinton Jackson. Wilson plays a lot of straight-laced and dim characters, so maybe he's just excited to let loose. He's having fun, which means we're having fun watching him. It's either that or an overload of smug characters cracking up at I don't even know what because I have yet to hear a joke. I hear catchphrases, and I hear smugness. Liam Neeson, I expect more from you. C-

No comments:

Post a Comment