Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Ryan Gosling, people!

Yesterday I warned Em (either during Heroes or 24, both of which were awesome last night) that I might spend most of today pissed off. Pissed off at the Academy for their poor choices in nominations. And when I caught sight of the Best Picture nods, I felt a certain tightness in my throat. Because I am at work, I had to restrain myself from yelling, "WHERE THE FUCK IS CHILDREN OF MEN?" I pretty much guessed it wouldn't be there, but still. I wanted it to be there.

But then, people. But then. I took a good long look at Performance by an actor in a leading role, and something strange happened. I let out a startled laugh. Then I started to clap. Ryan Gosling has been nominated for Half Nelson. I'm not too sure about his chances to win . . . but I can't stop smiling. It's so right. So called for. So what I want to see.

When I hit Performance by an actress in a supporting role, I had to do it all again. Rinko Kikucki and Abigail Breslin? Bearing in mind that I haven't taken a complete leave of my senses, and that I am, in point of fact, aware that I was not nominated for anything nor in anyway related to any sort of nomination, I found myself positively giddy again. Getting things right! It's what the Academy is (sometimes) about!

Anyway, those were the big happy surprises. Other things that pleased me include:
  • Leonardo DiCaprio for Blood Diamond. I know it's sort of an obvious role and therefore, perhaps, an obvious choice, but I don't care. You forget about the accent weirdness five minutes in, and it truly is an achievement.
  • Pretty much everything going on in supporting actor, especially Mark Wahlberg. Loved, loved, loved him in the role.
  • Pretty much everything going on in Performance by an actress in a leading role. Again, no surprises here, but good solid choices all. That's something I can respect.
  • Achievement in directing. No, I didn't really like Babel, and I can see everything going that way come February 25. The choices are, to a certain extent, obvious, but I like them. I'll be sad when Marty doesn't win. Again.
  • Original Score. Now those are some nominations I can get behind.

There are some other things that I liked (e.g. any time I saw the words "Pan's Labyrinth" or "Children of Men"), but we don't have to get into that right now. What we do have to talk about, however, is the absolute lack of consideration for The Fountain in areas like art direction and visual effects. Listen, voters, I can see how you might be watching The Fountain, thinking something along the lines of, "What's going on here? What the fuck? Also, is there a plot?" Those are good questions. But regardless of linear concerns, that movie looked amazing. Truly mesmerizing. And that deserves some attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment