Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I saw . . . this: Part 5

Because sometimes, I watch movies.

The Odd Couple (1968)

It's pretty funny, and I have had Neal Hefti's score stuck in my head for days. It wasn't, however, as funny as I expected it to be. It's a shame to have high expectations sometimes. And, I feel I really must tell you, Jack Lemmon is a lot funnier than Walter Matthau. Still, it's a pretty good way to spend an afternoon.


The Red Shoes (1948)

A little slow to start and a little too much of the romance happens off screen for my taste, but this take on the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale is fantastic. Moira Shearer is wonderful as a ballerina caught between her composer and her director. The ballet sequences are beautifully staged and filmed. A delightful and daring picture.


Ninotchka (1939)

"Garbo laughs!" And so will you! No, seriously. Like the above, it's a little slow to start, and Garbo's Ninotchka is downright harsh when she first appears. But she's soon charmed by Paris, as I was by the picture. It's on the ridiculous side, but what screwball comedy isn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment