Monday, January 22, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Premise: Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) and her pregnant mother, Carmen (Ariadna Gil), move to Northern Spain at the end of the Spanish Civil War. Carmen's new husband, Capitán Vidal (Sergi L ópez), is responsible for rounding up the remaining rebels. Ofelia meets Pan (Doug Jones), a faun who charges her with three tasks she must complete in order to return to her rightful throne as the Princess of the underworld.

Now, I know what I just told you might make you think that this is a lovely little fairy tale/fantasy to which you can take the kiddies. It's rated R for many a good reason, folks. Reasons like, "horrifically violent" and "gory." I saw a 12-ish looking girl come in with her parents and remarked to one viewing partner that I couldn't believe someone had brought their kid. A grown woman got up and left at one point. I'm laying this all on now, and thick, because I feel I didn't do enough to warn my viewing companions that this movie was going to be as gory as I knew it was.

All that said, this movie is awesome. It's disturbing, and more than once did I try to climb inside my seat, but it is so good that I have no problem telling you that it is one of the best movies of the year and probably one of the better movies I have ever seen in my life. Writer-director Guillermo del Toro doesn't let you off for a second. There is no reprieve in this movie. There is general high tension only broken up by moments of slightly less tension. It's pretty much a cinematic heart attack with hallucinations thrown in for good measure.

Most of the time when I watch movies in a language I don't understand, I find it a little difficult to assess the performances. Not so here. López is positively monstrous throughout, and it is impossible not to be chilled simply by looking at him. Baquero is moving as the sensitive and driven protagonist. But it is Maribel Verdú as Mercedes, Vidal's traitorous housekeeper, that really caught my attention. Her Mercedes is as generous as she is dangerous, and, to be honest, she kicks ass. Her performance is the kind that makes you wish that you could be the character.

Javier Navarrete's score is as filled with as much imagination as Ofelia and as much menace as Vidal. Guillermo Navarro's inspired cinematography enhances the already enchanting experience.

Excellent, excellent movie. A+*

* Star because it is really, really violent. I'll may never be able to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment